Monday, August 16, 2010

Godfrey Family Campout 2010

The annual Godfrey Family Campout was last week. It was originally scheduled to be at a campground in the Uintas, but the rain washed it away and the only place we were able to find to accommodate my grandparent's very large family was Gray's River in Wyoming. It was beautiful.
We found out the day before we left that Mark would not be able to go with us. So I ran to the dollar store and purchased entertainment for the 5 hour drive -- just me and the kids. Huge thanks to Adam and Keira who let me follow them up so I wouldn't get lost.

After our arrival we set up and played a bit in the river (okay, so Adam played with The Queen in the river, it was too cold for anyone else -- thanks, Adam). My mom prepared some family history and told stories of our ancestors. I found out that I'm an 8th generation Mormon (on both my grandpa and grandma's side) and that I have an ancestor who crossed the Delaware with General Washington! Pretty fun stuff!

After the campfire, we bundled up and snuggled in for the night -- 35 degrees when we woke up. I made the kids snuggle in the sleeping bag with me until Lucy (my cousin's 8-year-old daughter) made a campfire -- THANKS, LUCY!

The next day rained quite a bit, but we managed to have some fun!
We were able to go on a short hike between rainstorms. Talena carried The Boy almost the entire way (could I ask for a better family? Nope, I got the best one!). My 80-year-old grandma even came...awesome!
There were plenty of ATVs. The Boy mooched a few rides, but The Queen was happy to play on them while they were quiet.
I need to thank my whole family for helping me out so much! Thanks for helping me up and back, and hauling most of my stuff. Thank you for playing with my kids, feeding my kids, taking pictures of my kids, setting up my tent, taking down my tent, and letting me sleep in yours! I couldn't have done it without you! I'll bring Mark with me next time!

3 comments:

Katherine said...

I know all about camping with the kids. It ONLY works when there is lots of loving family around - which has been you and Mark for me too many times to count :)

Tiffany said...

Aren't sisters GREAT for shlepping children? They rock. Looks beautiful there! Glad you had fun - you rock for going by yourself!!!

Amanda B. said...

What a beautiful place. Horse and ATV's sound so fun. You were a brave mom- I don't think I could do a camp-trip flying solo!

P.S. No slivers on Ainsley this time- I hope??!