Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Oh, What Do You Do In The Summertime?

Every week our local movie theater played kid's movies for $1 in the mornings.  We went to several.
Mommy's favorite: Kung Fu Panda 2
The Boy's favorite: Yogi Bear
The Queen's favorite: Whinnie The Pooh
Junebug's favorite: Puss In Boots (mostly because that's the only other movie we watched)

Afterward they really enjoyed watching the fountain (which was choreographed to music)...
 ...and playing in the park just outside.
 

We spent a morning at The Children's Treehouse Museum.
 
 
 

One day I decided to scrub the baked on Pam from my bakeware.  Everyone thought it was a great activity.  Who knew?

There was a lot of this...
The Boy with Construx
...and this...
 
...and this.

I don't know what we'd do without these guys.  The Boy and The Queen look forward to playing with them EVERY week.
The Boy and Bennett excavating toys and coins out of ice
The Queen and Asher
 

We were able to spend a day boating with cousins.
 
 
 
 
 
The Queen and Ty
I love this last picture.  The Queen just can't get enough of her cousin.  She frequently asks, "can we go to Oregon today and play with TyTy?"  When I took her out for her "Back to School Lunch" I asked her who her best friend was.  Her eyes lit up, she smiled big and yelled, "TyTy!"  Wish he could be around more often!

My parents are remodeling their home and we got front row seats to the demolition with the backhoe.

I picked up the Summerfit workbooks at Costco this summer.  They were terrific.  Each day had a reading worksheet, a math worksheet, and a set of exercises.  Each week we discussed a value and played a new sport.  As a reward for finishing the entire thing, we took the kids out to dinner.

What's a summer without a trip to the zoo?
 
 
 
 
 

Our last day of summer we finally squeezed in the activity the kids asked to do most.
 
 

This is what we did today.
The Boy's first day of First Grade
After the chaos that was "Back to School Morning" he reported an excellent day.  His favorite things were eating lunch at school and getting two recesses (today was early out.  Imagine his excitement tomorrow when he gets three).  He loves his new teacher and is looking forward to a new year.  While it was nice to get into a schedule and let The Boy and The Queen have a bit of a break from each other, as the day drew on, we all missed him.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Caleb looks SO grown up!

Loved the comment from Ains about Ty - I so wish you could just "come to Oregon" to play.

Please let me know what you used to scour the pans and whether it worked.

Talena said...

Aw, I love your family. Looks like it was a good summer.

Kristi said...

What great pictures!! I didn't know the movie theater did the $1 showings!! That's awesome.

I loved looking at all those cute pictures. I LOVE "the boys" face in the cleaning picture. "June Bug" is getting so big and so cute. And "The Queen" is just adorable. You certainly have a special family!

p.s. Glad to see that "the boy" survived the craziness yesterday.
Wasn't that nuts?! I felt so bad for the kids, just being thrown toward the front, not knowing where to go. I'm glad it was a good day for him! We missed our Larsen Ladies, too. Ellie kept saying, "Where Anna?" and "Where Ashee".

Neesha said...

Thanks for commenting everyone! To answer Katherine, I mixed baking soda and water to make a paste. The kids loved mixing it up and then putting it on the "yucky brown stuff". We let it sit for about 20 minutes then we each picked a sponge (the kind with the rough side) and scrubbed away. It works wonders, especially on glass!

Tiffany said...

What a fun summer!!! I am seriously so excited to try to scour my pans - ha ha thanks for posting that! :)
I love back to school! I have 3 in school this year and just my boy at home - wow - that has been kinda nice ha ha

If you ever feel like coming down our way . . .