Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Paper Towel Dispenser

I went to the mens room again today. While grabbing a couple of paper towels with which to dry my hands, I noticed an interesting sticker above the knob to be turned for a manual feed. It read, "In emergency, turn knob."

It made me wonder: what sort of emergencies did the manufacturer envision occurring in a restroom which they felt their product could address? Should I turn the knob in the event of all emergencies, or only those pertaining to excessive amounts of uncollected moisture? What are the consequences of turning the knob in the absence of an emergency? Also, if there is an emergency and I am not in the restroom, should I run to the restroom to ensure the knob has been turned?

mw

4 comments:

Katherine said...

All very good points!
Thanks for giving me something to think about. I may be in need of one of those towel dispensers in my home - since emergencies can and do occur in homes.

Unknown said...

Now, see that? Kath is so much more refined than myself. My idea of an emergency in a restroom involves large amounts of (to use your terms) uncollected moisture or, shall we say 'grey' matter, either of which would need vast reams of paper from a dispenser to resolve.
So, in emergency, turn knob; you bet I will!

Mark said...

...and that is the difference between you and me, Mike. Grey matter is a part of the central nervous system; basically helps to carry signals from synapse to synapse.

So the new question is: what are you doing in the restroom to create large amounts of uncollected grey matter?

PaddyInEngland said...

over here, they have guys who spray you with bad aftershave and then expect a pound or two for there troubles. well i was out one night and i had already given this guy like 10 pound so I was just going to make a run for the door and as i was running he sprayed me. well more like he maced me. got me straight in the eye and i crashed head first into the door. Sometimes its easier to leave a tip.