Sunday, July 27, 2008

Temperate vs. temperamental

When I am on the road and people learn I am from Utah one of the frequent comments I hear is that it is a difficult place to get drunk. I take their word for it, though judging by the fan base at the University of Utah (taking into their level sobriety as well as their capacity for abstract thought) it can’t be all that challenging. The primary complaint is that beer, though available in many grocery stores, has a lower level of alcohol content than beer bought across state lines. This is perceived as an annoyance by the sober and as an affront by the drunk.

Well, I have finally learned how the rest of the country retaliates against Utah: they sell weak root beer. No kidding. Denver, Tampa Bay, West Palm Beach, Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, it doesn’t matter…I usually have to let the ice melt before I get any flavor. In my travels outside of Utah, I have only had decent root beer at one location, and that was (wait for it) a Marriott.

mw

No comments: