Tuesday, December 11, 2007

On Beauty Pageants

I was in the MBA lab at school a few weeks ago and overheard a conversation from a group of women. One of them had just returned from a beauty pageant where she had placed second and was complaining about who had placed first. I ignored most of what was said until I heard the line, "...and you should have heard her answer to the last question!"

I'm not an expert on beauty pageants, but as I understand them the finalists are asked an issues-oriented question before the judges announce who they had already voted for. This gives the pageant hosts something to point to when they say they are not objectifying women, and it provides the contestants an opportunity to say, "World peace," with a straight face.

The question: What is humanity's greatest development?

The answer: Sunless tanning.

I suppose you have to give her credit for realizing we have yet to work out all the kinks in world peace.

mw

2 comments:

Rich said...

Mark.
You have to consider the validity to this answer though.
Beauty is truly skin deep. World peace? We'll never get there.

Mark said...

Perhaps. Rather than sunless tanning, though, I think she should have said the semicolon.