Saturday, May 17, 2008

Review: Chicken Little

Some friends gave us a gift card to Blockbuster Video some months back. Last night we finally used it on Chicken Little. Good film for the whole family. The plot was an amusing twist on the traditional, "The sky is falling," story of Chicken Little and the jokes were random enough for Neesha and I to appreciate them. While some humor elements did wear thin, I attribute most of that to my being closer to 30 than to 3. For a Hollywood that doesn't produce much I'm willing to let my kids see, this was a worthy effort with enough references to the '70s, '80s, and '90s to keep the adults happy (e.g., "Stay on target, stay on target!").

The only negative? Wannabe by the Spice Girls. That they used the song was actually quite amusing given the context. The problem is that it is still in my head. Picture, if you will, a tall, thin, white male prancing around the living room with a laughing, two-year-old boy in one hand and a vacuum cleaner in the other, all the while singing,

"Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
really really wanna zigazig ha."
  • Neesha's favorite line: "That's your mom and dad? And they brought the Intergalactic Armada?!"
  • Mark's favorite line: "This is surprisingly accurate."
  • Caleb's favorite line: "You'll have to go on without me. Just leave me some ammo, a little bit of water...chips if you've got 'em."
  • Ainsley's favorite line: "Runt, old buddy, the fate of the world depends entirely on me and, to a far lesser extent, you."
Rating:
  • Buy it now
  • Worth $10 at Costco
  • Happy we rented it, but also happy we only rented it
  • No good at any price
  • That numb feeling at the top of your head? That's your cerebral cortex closing up shop
m&n

No comments: