Monday, February 04, 2008

Tres hombres y amigos

There is a picture of Mike, Dad and me in the middle of a dirt road with the bikes. I don't recall where it was taken. Once upon a time I seem to recall that it had the caption, "tres hombres y amigos," though I guess I got that one wrong.

Saturday was a good day. Mike and Dad came down to help with some projects around the house. The back door leading from our fenced patio needed some repair work, I needed to replace our water softener, and Neesha wanted to put some trim up in the bathroom. We accomplished each of these tasks with a minimal amount of blood and had a good time doing it. The door now works better than when the HOA first installed it, our water is soft again, and the industrial motif (Simon's phrase) of our master bath has been lessened.

Highlights of the day:
  • My efforts throughout the week to ensure we didn't have to make any trips while we were working only served to keep the number of trips down to three. However, we took each trip in a different vehicle, so at least the neighbors didn't realize what was going on.
  • Additional materials only ran about $60.
  • We only spent $25 on the wrong stuff.
  • Dad bought us lunch at Cafe Rio.
  • Dad almost buried his truck in a 20' snowbank in the middle of the Lowe's parking lot (you had to be there).
  • Caleb learned how to cut copper piping.
  • Mike came to understand why I shop at Lowe's and not ACE, lucky sweatshirt notwithstanding.
  • I was able to spend the day working alongside my brother and my father again.
  • Neesha was happy.
I've included the original "tres hombres y amigos" picture, along with two others in the same vein.


mw

4 comments:

Katherine said...

I can't say that myself or my husband could have helped whatsoever - but we could have provided one more vehicle (hence one more trip to the store) and it sounds like a fun day that we missed out on.
My water softener isn't working....

Unknown said...

Have you added salt recently? :o)

Mark said...

I have a bag I can mail you...

Katherine said...

You guys are so mean - I may not know the slightest thing about computers or lorem ipsum or other stuff that I don't know the name of, but I know about salt!
No, in fact it's a complicated problem with the softener - one that would take too long to explain. The short of it is that it's broken, okay? NOT out of salt!