Friday, February 01, 2008

President Hinckley


The viewing for President Gordon B. Hinckley started last night at the Conference Center and will continue through tonight. The funeral will be held tomorrow at the same venue at 11:00 am. I doubt that we'll make it to either event, though I find that my thoughts keep straying in that direction this morning.

Each conference, I found myself grateful for his constant message of encouragement and hope. By asking us to be a little kinder, just a bit more faithful than we had been, he acknowledged our efforts while not comprising on the standard we should be setting. After living his own council for 97 years, he was living testimony that "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass." His frequent council to fathers, husbands, and priesthood holders reinforced the example Dad set as I was growing up and helped to direct my efforts in my own home. He served as an Apostle since 1961. He spent the past 13 years as President of the Church, and oversaw one of the great periods of expansion in our history. For all he accomplished during this time, he always served with a humility and a gratitude that has been an example to me in my callings. Though we never met, and he certainly never heard mention of my name, I viewed him as a friend and a councilor while sustaining him as a prophet, seer, and revelator.

What I have learned with the passing of each prophet is that Jesus Christ is the head of His Church. He directs its efforts and inspires its leaders in working out the salvation of His children. Of this reality, President Hinckley himself consistently and frequently bore witness. Though the President of the Church has passed away, the priesthood keys of this latter-day work remain with the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and will never again be taken from the earth.

So today, I pay tribute to one of the great leaders and great servants of the Church. At the same time, I give glory to Him whom we all serve and pray that I may honor Him in my life as President Hinckley did in his.

mw

No comments: