Friday, June 27, 2008

Lunch at Applebees

I had lunch this afternoon at Applebees, and I'm looking forward to returning to this particular establishment. The food was the standard Applebees fare, nothing to complain about, but nothing to brag about either. But the playlist they were spinning - the young man who cooked it up (Edde Sellers, yes, I asked) is a master.

So subtly did young master Sellers ply his trade that it took me a moment to realize what he was doing. I finally started listening, really listening, half-way through "King of Pain." I had been paying close enough attention to realize that Sting's angst had somehow risen above normal levels, yet at the same time had a congruence about it not normally achieved when a song by The Police is played solo. Intrigued, I listened. And I was delighted at the tale this young man told

Unfortunately, I had to leave for the airport before the story ended, but witness the following:
  • "King of Pain" by The Police
  • "Lucky Denver Mint" by Jimmy Eat World
  • "Something to Say" by Toad the Wet Sprocket
  • "And So it Goes" by Billy Joel
  • "Black" by Pearl Jam
  • "Sour Girl" by Stone Temple Pilots
  • "Anna Begins" by Counting Crows
  • "The Space Between" by The Dave Matthews Band
  • "Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainright (though I do prefer K.D. Lang's cover)
  • "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins
  • "Far Away, Boys" by Flogging Molly
mw

No comments: